London Bridge Station Grip Stages
2 & 3
London Bridge, London
As a part of the £5.2 billion Thameslink Programme, the rail infrastructure and station at London Bridge is planned to undergo a large scale redevelopment; the plans are part of the wider scheme designed to increase the capacity of the London train network to cope with existing and projected passenger figures.
London Bridge Station redevelopment is part of the programme’s final Key Output 2 work and includes:
- The reconfiguration of the existing tracks increasing the number of through tracks and reducing the terminating tracks. This includes widening the existing high level viaduct through the existing terminus station area.
- Associated track and signaling reconfiguration to enhance train service capacity including providing dedicated Thameslink service platforms.
- Track modifications to enable improvement of platform layouts, lengths and standards.
- A new concourse serving all platforms enabling improved passenger flow and relieving existing congestion, providing step free access, and escalator access.
- Improved and upgraded passenger facilities meeting modern standards to ensure that the station meets current and planned regulations.
All of the above work has to be carried out whilst causing minimum impact to the operating station train service and NR infrastructure.
LBA were part of the Network Rail integrated programme management team for Key Output 2 and assisted in the overall programme development. LBA staff were brought into the Network Rail Team at an early stage in the process and the project development was progressed by the appointment of suppliers, designers and additional team members.
The programme team with LBA experienced staff in key management positions undertook the following development work for London Bridge Station:
- Review existing designs for the both the Thameslink work and the overall station masterplan that included an above station development.
- Survey existing station facilities and establish station user requirements for the upgraded station.
- Establish overall project objectives and requirements (GRIP2, Pre Feasibility).
- Undertake development work including determining requirements for design consultants, their appointment and the management of design work.
- Take the project through the GRIP 3, Option Selection stage including agreement with Network Rail Board and Department of Transport.
In addition to the overall development work LBA provided resources for the following:
- Development, planning and management of geodetic surveys, site investigation, structural surveys and station services surveys.
- M&E consultant and construction advisor.
- Resources responsible for developing the monitoring strategy for the civil works
- CDM Coordinator activities.
- Management of the interfaces between the Thameslink works and the development of the Shard of Glass located at London Bridge.
The programme delivery team with experienced LBA staff in key positions successfully led the project from the agreement to work up to the end of GRIP stage 3 with the selection and agreement of a revised station concept and arrangements.
The work undertaken on user requirements, project objectives, site surveys, design assessments and option studies provide the sound basis for future project development and successful overall completion.
The British Tunnelling Society decided to investigate the Tunnelling Challenges of Hyperloop.
The Dalmuir UID works are being undertaken for Scottish Water as part of an ongoing…
250 City Road Development Project
The Berkeley Homes 250 City Road site is located along the southern side of City…
Western Rail Link to Heathrow [WRLtH] GRIP3
The project is a westward facing link from the Great Western Main Line near Langley…
Crossrail C610 Systemwide Fit-Out and Fire Assurance
The Crossrail C610 tunnel fit-out project involves the installation of over 40km of track and…
Hinkley C Marine Works
Hinkley C is a new nuclear power station being constructed adjacent to the existing Hinkley…
LU Future Station Project – Elephant & Castle Feasibility Studies
Elephant & Castle Station is on the Northern Line and is the current southern terminus…
Silvertown Tunnel Instrumentation & Monitoring
The Silvertown Tunnel scheme involves the construction of a twin bore road tunnel providing a…
Cambridge Mass Transit
Following their review of the various options and their benefits / drawbacks and significant stakeholder…