Active Tunnelling Ltd
2017 to 2019
Provision of tunnelling and geotechnical expertise and risk management services
Geotechnical advice / expertise
TBM tunnelling advice / expertise
Risk management services
The Dalmuir UID works are being undertaken for Scottish Water as part of an ongoing programme of works to treat unsatisfactory intermittent discharges into the River Clyde in Glasgow. The tunnelling works are subcontracted to Active Tunnelling Ltd, ATL. The works comprise a series of 1500mm internal diameter pipe jacked tunnels. Prior to LBA’s involvement, the tunnelling works had encountered unforeseen ground conditions which had resulted in the abandonment and subsequent recovery of the TBM used for the works. As part of the planned restart of works, and as a result of a recommendation to ATL following our work on the Shieldhall Strategic Sewer, LBA was engaged to provide tunnelling and geotechnical consultancy services to ATL.
The tunnelling works are situated on the north bank of the River Clyde in Glasgow, with the tunnels being driven through Glacial Alluvium.
LBA’s role was to provide consultancy services in terms of tunnelling and geotechnical expertise and more general risk management services. Specifically, this included the following:
- Review and comment on the Geotechnical Baseline report prepared for the restart of tunnelling.
- Provision of report and subsequent recommendation for the selection of the TBM proposed for the restart of the works.
- Review and advice on the proposed additional site investigation work.
With the restart of works, LBA’s role was to provide the following:
- Review of proposed protective jet grouting works.
- Compilation and management of tunnelling project risk register.
- Overview of tunnelling works to provide early warning of potential issues and advice on mitigation measures.
- Writing the Emergency Preparedness Plan for the remaining 3 no. tunnel drives.
- Running risk workshops and compiling the Risk Management Plan for the works.
The tunnelling works were restarted, and successfully completed in September 2019.
The British Tunnelling Society decided to investigate the Tunnelling Challenges of Hyperloop.
250 City Road Development Project
The Berkeley Homes 250 City Road site is located along the southern side of City…
Western Rail Link to Heathrow [WRLtH] GRIP3
The project is a westward facing link from the Great Western Main Line near Langley…
Crossrail C610 Systemwide Fit-Out and Fire Assurance
The Crossrail C610 tunnel fit-out project involves the installation of over 40km of track and…
Hinkley C Marine Works
Hinkley C is a new nuclear power station being constructed adjacent to the existing Hinkley…
LU Future Station Project – Elephant & Castle Feasibility Studies
Elephant & Castle Station is on the Northern Line and is the current southern terminus…
Silvertown Tunnel Instrumentation & Monitoring
The Silvertown Tunnel scheme involves the construction of a twin bore road tunnel providing a…
Cambridge Mass Transit
Following their review of the various options and their benefits / drawbacks and significant stakeholder…
Paddington Bakerloo Line Link Construction
The Paddington link tunnel, linking the new Crossrail station and the LU Bakerloo Line platforms.